Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dead Children's Playground



Dead Children's Playground

Those who reside in Huntsville, Alabama are very familiar with dead children's playground. It is part of the unique history of this region. Dead children's playground is set in the middle of Maple Hill Cemetery, which is the largest and oldest cemetery in Alabama. Built in 1882, the cemetery covers over 100 acres of land. Dead children's playground is a small playground in the heart of this picturesque grave yard. It is surrounded on three sides by a rocky cove and faces out onto the ancient stone garden.

Local legend has it that Huntsville suffered a rash of child abductions in the 1960’s, and the bodies of the children were found in the area of the playground. Since that time, there have been reports of swings moving on their own, children calling out, giggling, and when photos are taken, orbs of light believed to be the spirits of the children are captured. Much of this phenomenon occurs between 10 p.m. and 3 a.m., far too late for any live child to be out playing.

Local teens and other curious locals, often make pilgrimages to the playground at night to witness this activity. I have made this trip on several occasions, and although I have never seen any ghosts myself, I have heard many reports of swings moving on their own and bright lights drifting through the darkness.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I was in Huntaville July 8, 2012 to drop off my son for Space Camp. We stayed at the Hilton hotel close to the Rocket Center. The time we stayed there my husband and myself experienced some unusual activity in our room. The first night at around 2:30 in the morning the room phone was making a sound as if it was hung-up, so I got up, and lift it up and put it down this happened three times that my husband finally disconnected it from the wall outlet. When I tried to close my eyes and try to go back to sleep I can see an image of a child, all red in color , this image appeared 3 time every time I close my eyes. I tried to stay up for a little bit and when I finally went back to sleep that image is gone. The 2nd night at around 3:00 am my husband cellphone was ringing and I asked him to answer it, upon checking who was calling He said It was my cell phone number that registered. Both our cell phone was on top the table where the TV was. He move his phone close to him at the bedside table and put it on Vibrate, and for the 2nd time it made a vibrate sound and I asked him to answer it again, It was my cell phone again calling my husband's phone, when he answered there was just a gushing sound, I got up to check my cell phone,when I was holding my phone I felt gooseBumps.When flip it open at first it was my screen saver picture not in use, so I close it. And this time a little scared for no reason while my husband was still saying hello to the call. I tried to open my cell again and this time my husband phone numbered now appeared on my cell phone as if it was dialed to make a call. I was very scared that I put down my phone and crawl back to bed. Our 3rd night I decided to leave the bathroom lights on, at around 2:30 am,I neared the GPS was turned on I thought it was my husband so I just ignored him, All the while he was also thinking that I was the one playing with the GPS trying to get some directions.... When he wanted to tell me it's late and go to sleep he noticed that I was already asleep and not playing with the GPS. He ignored it and didn't tell me about the incident till we are on our way out of town. I have never experience anything like it before, it was scary and I tried to tell the hotel front desk of what happened in room 303.