Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ghost Hunting Tips


I got my ghost hunting kit together tonight and went out into the darkness for the first time.  I violated most of the tips I am going to list in my eagerness to venture into the night with my night vision camera, electromagnetic field meter, thermometer, and electronic voice phenomena recording device. I went out alone to a lonely cemetery in the woods near my house.  I did bring my dog and I am  fairly sure he is psychic, so that does make me a little bit more professional.  What I learned fumbling around through the bramble in the dark while chasing shadows is that the cemetery by my house is probably not haunted and is definately thick with thorns.  I'll be picking stickers our of my pants and putting neosporin on my wounds for a few days to come.   With all my mistakes in mind,  I thought I would list some tips provided by the Ghost Hunter's Guidebook to help others avoid my silly mistakes.

1.  Never go alone into an investigation  (I don't think I broke this rule since I brought my psychic dog)

2.  Try to make sure that those who own the site you are going to have granted permission for you to investigate.

3.  Keep your perceptions clear prior to the investigation.  Do not drink, smoke, or use drugs before investigating.

4.  Arrive with skepticism.

5.  Make sure you bring along all of the items that you need to properly conduct your investigation.

6.  Avoid publicity and the media when starting a case.

7.  Interview any witnesses in depth.

8.  Become part of the location.  Try to blend into the background as much as possible.

9.  Always respect the location and always be polite.

I will try to follow more of these rules on my next expedition, but for tonight I just enjoyed stumbling around in the bramble, peering through my night vision camera, and hoping my catch a glimpse of something paranormal.

6 comments:

Grim Wicked said...

Did you get a chance to review your footage yet? Catch anything? You going to posts any more pics?

And come on! Going it alone in a dark and spooky cemetery is so much fun! I have to admit, you sounded a lot like me when I set out alone to snap shots of my local cemetery and while I wasn't exactly ghost hunting per say (nor did I have any of the fancy equipment you have in your possession), I definitely had my eye open for anything unusual. I did everything wrong but that was kind of the point (thrills!). I went alone (I DID have my dog) without telling anyone where I was going, I forgot the one flashlight I thought I had, I never got permission to enter the place (its gated but HUGE so lots of hiding space), and the only pair of batteries I had (which were BRAND new and expensive by the way) died within twenty minutes of me getting there! I killed my headlights and drove through a 20 acre maze in complete darkness, trying not to run over headstones and always had an eye out for any of the guys I know that patrol down there just for kicks (imagine me trying to explain THAT!). But all in all it was fun and I got my photos.

Autumnforest said...

I do admit to having gone alone to cemeteries, but very very rarely. I kept near the car and carried a knife. I'm just enough of a bitch when I need to be, that I'd probably dig their eyeballs out if someone tried to attack me, but still--someoone can take you by surprise. That said, I agree that a dog is one of the best ghost hunting tools ever. First, a dog will sniff the area, inspect who's been there, move around a lot, and when he settles in and rests, that's when he can actually notice if something else has arrived. I've found that when going to a new site, I need to sit there for a good 20 minutes before any action begins to start. It needs time to get used to you, to kind of accept you, and then the longer you're there, the more that happens. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can type in the address and find out if any newspapers had done articles about that location as the site of a murder, et cetera. If it's a building, you can go to the city registrar and find out who's owned it over the years and hit the newspapers with their names to see if they had died on site. It's a messy business looking up info, but it's worth it. I think you and I are a lot alike. You probably are a romantic at heart and want to soak up the atmosphere, sounds, smells, feel of a place, and then are pleasant and friendly and open-minded and ideal for a ghost magnet. Even though our geomagnetic activity is at a standstill and ghosting is harder right now, if you do find a location that has a high EMF baseline, you have a good chance of getting some freaky stuff happening. It seems to supercede the issues with geomagnetic activity. Don't have a theory yet on that, but have noticed the correlation. This is exciting! I can't wait to hear about your future ventures. You might find a local hunting group and see if you can hang with them a few times. You find that folks in the group want to do things with another person on their off time and so they're thrilled to go with you places.

Jessica Penot said...

I'm with you, Grim. It really was just all about the fun of walking through the cemetery at night. I didn't even really expect to find anything, although I hoped. I don't have many pictures because I was trying out the night vision camcorder. I also didn't have a flashlight for the same reason and navigation using a night vision camcorder is not as easy as it looks on Ghost Adventures. I'll post some of the footage from the camcorder on youtube and post a link here. Autumnforest, I'm glad you brought up the knife. I think the one thing I was considering adding to my ghost hunting kit would be pepper spray, because ghosts are much less dangerous than people.

Courtney Mroch said...

THIS IS A GREAT POST! I have noted it and will refer to it in my future blogs I'm sure!

日月神教-向左使 said...

成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人電影,成人遊戲,成人文學,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,正妹牆

mackenzie said...

My friends and I really want to start ghost hunting. I have almost all the equipment except a field meter. As soon I get one we will be on our way. Thanks for all the great tips!