Monday, July 26, 2010

Phantom Cats: Omens of Death?

I was reading a book called Ghosts and Goosebumps this morning.   It is a collection of Alabama ghost stories and folklore.  One of the stories that stood out to me was told by an Alabama woman named Peggy Ham.  In her story a big white cat just appeared in her sister's room while her sister was sick.   No one saw it when it came in and everyone tried to drive the cat from the room.  There was nothing they could do to scare the cat away.  The next day the sick child died and the cat was gone.   After the funeral the family moved t another place.  In about a month another child got sick just like the first child.   One night,  the same cat appeared again.  No one saw where the cat came in.  The cat appeared three nights in a row and then it vanished.  On the third nigh the second child died.  The cat was never seen again.

In a previous blog,  I discussed a mutilated cat ghost that has been seen at Oxenby Manor.  This phantom cat was the ghost of a cat that had been tortured and killed in order to be cruel to a little boy.  The cat ghost was frequently seen at Oxenby Manor and always came just prior to some one's death.

I have also discussed Oscar the Therapy Cat in a previous blog.  I read the book Oscar the Therapy Cat  and it followed the interesting story of a cat that lives in a nursing home and always lays on the bed of patients just prior to their death.  Many doctors and scientists have tried to prove that Oscar is responding to changes in body temperature or some physical, tangible manifestation of death, but they have been unable to.  Oscar predicts death.

These three case studies lead me to my question.  Are phantom cats omens of death?  I know Oscar isn't a phantom, but he still seems to be able to predict death.  Can cats sense death and once they have died to they continue to predict death?   It seems to me that through the many cases of phantom cats I've read about this is the case.  I am by no means an authority on cat ghosts, but it seems that if you see one,   you should definitely make your peace. 

8 comments:

Above the Norm said...

My Dad had a couple of pigeons outside his hospital room the day he died. After he was gone, so was the pigeons. I suppose that cats can symbolize death. I know a couple of people that have seen phantom cats when a loved one died. The cat disappeared right afterwards. Let's hope I don't see one for a long, long time...

Marbella Jewelry Designs said...

another reason I don't like cats.

The Wolf said...

I can totally see that, animals have been known to tell when earthquakes and other things will happen. I also now my dog has seen ghosts by the way he racts suddenly for no reason. He'll stare at a wall and make strange noises, or cower in a corner and growl at some invisible threat

Jessica Penot said...

Above the Norm.... If you've known a couple people that makes it even more believable for me.

Marbella Jewelry..... You aren't alone in that feeling

The Wolf...It sounds like you have a good dog. Do you live in a haunted house?

Elk999us said...

While visiting San Fransisco,and as guests of a boutique hotel,my partner and I both saw a ghost cat in our room..It was quite active,jumping around not unlike a live cat..I love cats anyway,so I wasn't bothered at all..We are still both alive,so I doubt ghost cats have anything to do with someone dying..Love this Blog,BTW..

Jessica Penot said...

Elk99us... Thanks! I'm glad you are both still alive and I'm glad to have some evidence to show ghost cats aren't always bad.

Unknown said...

My cat came back to me in spirit form. I felt its feet walking all the bed at night but invisible to see. This has happened off and on for a couple years now. Once It came back at night as always and I had a vision of it it was three times as big and jumped in my arms. Then the vision abruptly ended. This is all true. Its waiting for me on the other side.

Rick Creighton said...

My cat came back to me in spirit form. I felt its feet walking all the bed at night but invisible to see. This has happened off and on for a couple years now. Once It came back at night as always and I had a vision of it it was three times as big and jumped in my arms. Then the vision abruptly ended. This is all true. Its waiting for me on the other side.