Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Movie Review: Insidious

I love horror movies.  I love b-grade horror movies and classics and everything in between.  On most occasions,  I realize the horror movie I love doesn't meet any standard criteria of quality.  It can't be measured along good films like Black Swan.  It enters its own category of magic and wonder that can only be appreciated by fans of the genre.  A few horror movies like The Exorcist and Silence of the Lambs are good enough to be measured amongst other good movies.   Insidious is one of those films.  It is a very good film that hearkens back to the old classic haunting movies to use subtly and foreshadowing to create so much tension the teenage girls behind me squealed with terror.

The plot of Insidious is a simple one.  A family moves into a new home.  The children are afraid of their rooms and things move about on their own.  The family assumes it is one of the many children making mischief.  Almost immediately, the middle son falls into an inexplicable coma that he stays in for months.  The longer the boy is in a coma, the worse the paranormal activity around the house becomes.  Terrifying ghosts are everywhere and the wife is alone in her belief in this activity.  Finally the family moves, but the ghosts follow and after a psychic enters the picture, the family realizes there are worse things than the legion of ghosts following the little boy.

Insidious was also interesting in the unique perspective it presented on hauntings.  I don't want to ruin anything for those that haven't seen the film, but it presents a description of ghosts and demons and the way they relate to the world of the living that I haven't heard before.  It integrates notions of astral projection and psychic projection with a unique view on the ether that philosophically left me with much to think about.  It also presented to of the most comical and interesting ghost hunting characters I've seen in movies since The Ghost Busters.  It was also very scary.  As  a mother, watching a little boy tormented by ghosts and demons was horrible and probably my worst nightmare.  This is the best and scariest horror movie I've seen in years.

14 comments:

Bear said...

Hmmm! Alright! Will look into it! If you're keen scrounge out The Legend of Hell House,better still the book Hell House by Richard Matheson. He started the whole ghostbusting gizmo technology genre with that book way back in 1971,the movie was released in 73 I believe..Still a cracker!..Cheers!

Jessica Penot said...

I will have a look! Thanks.

Courtney Mroch said...

WOW! High praise from you AND Jeremy. (You didn't go see it together did you? He just post on his FB page about it this week too.) I'll definitely check this one out. (But probably not until it's released on DVD. We just never go to the movies it seems anymore...)

Marbella Jewelry Designs said...

awesome! i was worried i would be disappointed, but now i'm looking forward to it.

umaslittlesis12 said...

I heard this was good, and when my brother came back from seeing it he said it was the best scary movie he's seen in years. I'm definitely going to see it now!

Wub2Write said...

O.K. After reading your movie review, I've got to go see this movie!

BTW... you have a 'lovely' blog award waiting for you on my blog. So, when you get a minute, pop on over for a peek.

Your blog is great! Love it! :-)

Lisa Gail Green said...

Wow! And from the reviews I wouldn't have honestly given it a second thought. Now I'm intrigued.

Lindie said...

thanks for the review!

Bear said...

As good as promised! It's atmosphere that makes a great movie not gore!..Cheers!

Wub2Write said...

My hubby and I finally got around to seeing this movie. Loved it! And yes, ghost hunters reminded me of Ghostbuster characters. I liked the term, "The Further." Ghosts were really freaky. I jumped a couple of times. LOL! And great twist ending. Totally unexpected. OMG!

Ravenhurst Mansion said...

This was the best horror movie I've seen in years.

Evans, ghost hunter
http://ravenhurstmansion.blogspot.com/

Sherry Soule said...

I loved this movie! Super suspenseful and well-written. A must see for any lover of the paranormal genre. Can't wait to own the DVD, too!

Anonymous said...

My wife and I absolutely loved it! One of the best horror films that have come out lately is Insidious. If you haven’t seen it you definitely should. One way you can see it is by using Blockbuster Online. As a DISH Network customer and employee I can tell you that right now if you switch to DISH Network you can get Blockbuster Online FREE for 3 months! There are over 100,000 titles to choose from, TV shows and games you can get through the mail. Plus you can get 5 in-store exchanges per month with no due dates or late fees. More info online at http://bit.ly/isAh2e

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this movie a lot. It made me jump a few times when we were watching. Now I have seen a ton of scary movies but this one really got me me on a level I didn't realize. I woke up in the middle of the night in a full blown panic attack! I woke up screaming, couldn't catch my breath,felt like someone was sitting on my chest and shaking. I swear I saw "The Bad Guy" from the movie up in the corner of my bedroom! I still fell a little freaked just writing about it. My husband was a little pissed we were awake at 3AM and had to sleep with the lights on. So yes scary and good ;)