Friday, August 12, 2011

Black Eyed Children

Black Eyed Children are the cause of much debate.   They appeared, as if from a vacuum, in 1998, and since that time the Internet has been crowded with stories of their appearance and activity around the world.  In 1998, a reporter named Brian Bethel was working in his car.  He was sitting in his vehicle alone at night and everything around him was quiet and dark.   Out of this darkness, two children emerged.   The reporter rolled down his window to talk with them.  The children told the reporter that they had been dropped off by their parents to see a movie, but they had no money and had begun the walk home.  The begged the reporter to help them and let them into his car with him.  The reporter was somewhat put off by the appearance of the children in the night and although his first impulse was to let the children in, something in his gut told him not too.   The longer Brian put off letting the children in the car, the more persistent they became.  Finally Brian peered into the darkness and noticed that the children had black eyes.   Their eyes were entirely inky black with no white or iris.  Brian became terrified and was driven by an overwhelming panic and need to run away.  The children sensed his fear and became even more aggressive in their pleas to enter the vehicle.  Finally, Brian abandoned the eerie children and went on to tell his story.

Since Brian's encounter, countless other stories like this have peppered the Internet.  One story I read on the Internet was told by a young man who skateboarding in the dark.  He was approached by two young children who claimed they were lost and asked if he could take them to his house and let them use his phone.  He offered his cell phone, but the children insisted they use his home phone.  The young man noticed the children's eyes and asked them why they were wearing contacts.  He then declined the children and went home on his own.  He was scared of the children and wanted nothing more to do with them.  When he looked out his window later that night, the two children were still watching him from the front yard.   Another story was told by a woman who was awoken in the middle of the night by two children asking for help.  They wanted to use the phone to call their parents.  The woman was overwhelmed by fear and didn't let the children in, but they stayed at her door for hours begging and pleading.

These Black Eyed Kids or BEKs  have stayed on the fringes of the paranormal and have remained so because no one really knows what to make of them.  Some people believe BEKs are part of an elaborate Internet hoax and that those telling the stories speak out on the Internet as part of this hoax.  There are others that believe the BEKs are the ghosts of lost children who wander the earth searching for safety.  Others believe they are lost souls trying to gain entrance to our lives.  Another theory states that the BEKS are demons trying to con their way into people's lives and yet another theory says they are vampires, who must get permission before entering to feed on their victims.  A final group of people argue that BEKS are the product of some bizarre alien human mating.  Whatever the truth is, the stories about these phantom, black eyed horrors are enough to send chills down your spine on the warmest nights.

16 comments:

Bandhura said...

Jessica this is just creepy! I'm not posting for the rest of the summer, just reading friend's posts. This caught my attention, of course, it's you! But geez woman! I've got major chills now! LOL

Jessica Penot said...

I know! The story with the children standing on the guys front lawn watching his window really creeped me out the most.

April Mechelle said...

I had never heard of these BEK's.. Now I have chills and will be looking at everyone's eyeballs..

Jeffery said...

Ooh! I like this one muchly! The combination of Evil and Innocence is a terrifying prospect!...Cheers!

Little Gothic Horrors said...

Wow, heebie-jeebies aside, this is a fabulous story! It would be great if the 'Supernatural' television show tackled this as a storyline, but they already have an established mythology of anyone possessed by demons having black eyes. It would be hard to draw a distinction between regular demon possession, and the black eyed children legend, but it's so creepy that I'd love to see them try.

Cullan Hudson said...

I've been following BEKs for a bit now and have noticed a lot of it centers around a man named Jason Offutt. You can read my posts http://strangestate.blogspot.com/search/label/Black%20Eyed%20Kids but I think he may have a lot to do with perpetuating this Internet meme.

That said, it would make a fantastic creep fest. I don't know why Hollywood has to keep remaking stuff when there are some cool stories out there like Black Eyed Kids and Slenderman.

magikalseasons said...

Never heard of this before. The creepy factor is very high! Would make a great movie. You should write the screen play!

Adsila said...

I have read others' stories about these kids and got shivers down my spine each time. Little kids with solid black eyes can give people nightmares, me included.

laughingwolf said...

damned freaks, if you ask me! :O lol

Justine's Halloween said...

How creepy! I think I remember hearing about these kids on a paranormal radio show. The expression in a person's eyes is so important! Even if I know a person is wearing weird contacts, it still makes me uneasy.

Jessica Penot said...

April... I've been checking eyes too since I've heard about these creepy kids.

Jeff... Thanks!

Little Gothic Horror..I think this would be great on a TV show or as a movie.

Cullan... I'll read all your posts. They sound wonderful. I'm glad you brought up slendermen too. I was planning on doing a post on them soon as well!

Adsila... they are too creepy.

Laughing Wolf.... ;) LOL

Justine... I'm with you. Even if they are contacts or it is a hoax, it is a creepy one

Anonymous said...

I have heard of this two years ago, the stories are consistant, they do not change, witch means it's true, or someone is paying alot to have this story out there by different people in our states, and who knows around the world. the bible does says strange will happen and to be aware of it or it will bring you down..food for thought

Digital Kermit said...

Hi guys, im a paranormal investigator researching the BEK's. Im looking to get in touch with people who have had a similar experience. contact me on d.kermit.email(at)gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hei, I've been reading up on this black eyed children or kids mystery and I've stumbled by mistake upon this blog which tells a rather interesting story.

It relates the black eyed children to none other than vampires, the queen of them actually.

This story is so real, so well written, that it shook my beliefs from the core. It really makes you wonder... what if?

Here's the link if you care to read it, mind you, it's rather big:

http://onvampires.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

They didn't appear out of the vaccum. This post: http://onvampires.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/achilles-heel-2-story-part-23/ does a pretty good job relating a story about them, however it's part of a very large blog, and they are spread all across the blog. It ties them with vampires in a very fascinating way. I'm addicted to following the Black Eyed Children trail.

BrandiShay said...

Up until last night I always thought my brother had just come up with a wild tall tale story when he was a child. Sitting at work last night I came across a website talking about the black eyed kids. My brother at the time of his terrifying encounter was just 7 years of age and now at the age of 23 he still sticks firmly to his story. In april of 1996 we had just moved from Arkansas to Mississippi. In our new town we were getting very well adjusted to our new home and the new school we were attending. Seeing as how we had only been new to Olive Branch, MS about 3 weeks we had no blinds on our windows. I remember it like it was yesterday! My mother and I were in the kitchen cooking dinner, my father was watching television and had sent my brother to his room to do his homework. He had only been in his room around 20 minutes when he came barreling down the hallway with the most horrifying scream I had ever heard with tears rolling down his face. He nearly climbed my mother like a tree trunk all while trying to bury his face as to hide from something. When he finally calmed down to where she could get an understandable answer out of him I couldn't help but laugh. I thought he was just telling another one of his crazy stories from his imagination. He said as he sat doing his homework he felt an eerie feeling like he was being watched and like something was calling to him. He then said he glanced up at his window and saw a white faced boy that looked like a ghost crouched down and peering into the bottom of his window. He said "Momma he looked my age and I thought it was me at first but when I got close to the window he blinked and moved closer and he had all black eyes there wasn't no white there. And when I moved he didn't move the same way I did so I know I wasn't seeing me." I'm sure now if my brother would have stuck around without running away in fear the child may have asked him to let him in. For nearly 3 weeks after the incident my brother being scared to sleep in his own room made camp underneath my daybed with my cocker spaniel Danny. A short time later with it still haunting him my mother had my brother and myself swap rooms. Although I never saw the child I can't say that it didn't terrify me enough to keep the new blinds closed. As I was leaving work last night somewhat frightened and feeling horrified to walk to my car alone, I called my brother. I asked "Korey do you still remember that little boy you saw looking in your window all those years ago?" His response "The one with the black eyes? Shay why did you have to bring that up?" with a sense of horror in his voice. I told him how I had come across the website about the BEK's and that others have seen them. He instantly replied "I wish you wouldn't have told me that. I've tried forgetting and it still terrifies me especially now that I know it wasn't just my eyes playing tricks on me."