Monday, October 17, 2011

The Maple Hill Cemetery Stroll

Maple Hill Cemetery is one of the largest and oldest cemeteries in the Southeast. It contains the remains of some of the most important people in Southern History and every year the dead rise to share their stories in the Maple Hill Cemetery Stroll.  I enjoyed a lovely day of history and ghosts this Sunday on this cemetery stroll.  Here are some images of the walk.


Sally Carter  is one of the most famous ghosts in Huntsville, Alabama.  Here she tells her tragic tale of woe.

Talula Bankhead starred in numerous films, including Alfred Hitchcock's famous "Lifeboat".   She remembers her last words at the cemetery walk.  They were, "I need more bourbon."


Huntsville's Gypsy Queen reminds locals that she was buried with her treasure and any who dare touch it will be haunted by her for the rest of their lives.

The famous cow, Lily Flag, that won the 1982 World's Fair trophy, shares its mooooving story.

9 comments:

wicKED said...

Very cool pictures. I really like the big cross in the last one.

Justine's Halloween said...

How neat to hear from historical figures and ghosts! Not to mention a talking cow. :) I want to go on a cemetery walk now. This looks like so much fun!

Mantan Calaveras said...

Um, that's awesome. It's great to see such historical appreciation and humor. I believe that's what a good cemetery oughta be about.

Jeffery said...

That'd be fun at night methinks! Nice pics!
Cheers!

Jessica Penot said...

Thanks All! I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.

Justine... I do hope you go on a cemetery stroll they are alot of fun.

Mantan..The humor does make it more interesting.

Courtney Mroch said...

Oh how fun! Your pics are awesome and I love your descriptions with them. The cow is my favorite!!!!

wicKED said...

I have an award for you over at my blog.
http://wickedwaysproductions.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-know-if-you-are-halloween.html
Near the bottom.

Adsila said...

I love the cemetery pictures. We have something like this at our downtown cemetery. I like hearing the history.

Jessica Penot said...

Courtney... I really liked the cow too.

Wicked.... Thanks!

Adsila... Its good to hear other places have strolls too. I'll have to try to find some other ones.