Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Moving Doll of Allaire House


My family house finally sold and I have been thinking about it a lot lately.  This is the blog post from my last trip to the house.  I will miss it.

For the last week, I've stayed in my family home.  My family home, The Newton-Allaire House, in Cheboygan, Michigan has served as my inspiration for many years. It has always been my favorite place, and, as a child, I would have prefered to stay in this ghostly mansion than take a trip to Disney World. The old mansion is filled with ghosts and ghost stories and if you scroll down you'll find some of the many ghost stories that I grew up with. Lately, the ghost stories from this house have been few and far between. It has sat empty since my grandmother died and my family decided to sell the house. For many years, the house didn't sell and sat in silence, as if waiting for something. I always prayed that it wouldn't sell, although I know the rest of my family has prayed it would. The rest of my family sees the house as a decaying burden that serves no purpose. I have always seen it as a link to our family history. This week, if all goes well, the house will sell. I will say goodbye to the beautiful mansion that inspired so many of my ghost stories and will always haunt my dreams. Such is life, but as the house vanishes from my life, I've caught my first glimpse of paranormal activity here that I've seen in years.

On Tuesday, my boys played tricks on each other in the upstairs bedrooms of the old house. My older son moved a doll from room to room and tried to convince his younger brother that the doll was evil and moving on its own. After my younger son came screaming down the stairs in terror, I decided to put an end to this game. I went upstairs with my angry face on and found a mound of what looked like a small child beneath the covers in one of the bedrooms. The mound was moving and I could see it shifting beneath the sheets. I could even see a hand moving under the sheet.  I assumed it was my eldest son, waiting to leap out at his youngest brother and scare him to death. I pulled back the covers and found the large plastic doll under the sheets staring out at me with glassy eyes. I have never been afraid of strange events in this house, but I knew if my sons found out about this they would  be sleeping on top of me so I have kept this event to myself. It is the first unexplained event in this house for many years and I think it means that even though I won't be here anymore, the house is awake again.  The pictures I took of the house this trip have a few orbs in them.  The house is a dusty old lady, so they could be tricks of light and dust, but I'm glad to see some sign of ghosts again.  I'm also glad for the chance to say goodbye to the house I've loved my entire life.





This is a crooked picture of the giant doll I found beneath the sheets.
 
 








6 comments:

VainGlorySinner said...

My god that is a beautiful house! I would sell my soul to live in a creepy old house like that! What an exciting and interesting childhood you must have had living there!

The creepy moving doll bit reminds me of your post about Robert the evil doll, after watching many a youtube video on moving dolls after reading that post I can safely say that I would have cowered in a corner had I seen what you'd seen!

It is such a shame that your family are wanting to sell your family home but at least you still have the spooky memories! x

Little Gothic Horrors said...

What an awesome post! A beautiful old haunted house and a spooky doll... just my cup of tea! As I was reading, I found myself thinking that if I had a massive lottery win, I'd swoop in there and buy the house so you could have it forever! I feel sad for your loss. I wonder if the ghosts are aware that things are about to change and it has them all stirred up!

Anonymous said...

I've been watching this house on the market for about the past six months. A fourth of my DNA comes from Cheboygan, this branch of my family were very successful shipbuilders at the turn of the last century. I had this crazy dream of buying the house and living in it three months of the year, but that will never happen. I'm sorry that Cheboygan's real estate is so depressed right now, and I hope you find the right kind of buyer--someone who will cherish that place as much as you do.

Klaus Ebenhoch said...

I am genuinly scared right now. Great story!

Anonymous said...

Here's an update and a little history for you. My husband's great-great grandfather was Achibald P. Newton (also related to Sir Isaac Newton the English Physicist, and John Newton, who wrote Amazing Grace). Archie had this home built in 1871 when he married his second wife (his first wife, a Native American Indian had passed away). After 127 years of being in the Allaire family the home is back (2013) on the Newton family side. Unfortunately and sadly, the home has taken quite a few hits throughout the years. When one of the major beams broke underneath the home it was never replaced which after many years resulted in creating numerous foundation issues, warped and buckled (and original) hardwood floors, doorways shifted and angled (makeshift shims put above doorways to close up 4-5" gaps), cracked plaster walls, outer facade breakdown, roof leaks where the front of house meets the back of house. And besides all of that, there is old non-working and outdated electrical (in some rooms only), the list goes on... Plain and simply, the home will need a lot of money, work and TLC to restore. And just for the record, there are no ghosts. The home is a beautiful and serene (despite its condition) 1871 nationally recognized American Historic Home and we are happy for the 4 years it has been back in the Newton family and to call it ours!

Jessica Penot said...

Thank you so much for the update. I am so glad to hear that house is being loved again. You have no idea how much that would mean to my grandmother who loved that house like a child. I think the hits the house has taken over the years is a large part of why my father and husband wouldn't let my mother and I try to keep the house. We couldn't afford to fix all the problems. I am glad to hear you guys are working on it. I think my biological father (grrr) did some work on the foundation that made the problems there worse, unfortunately. I know my Grandpa George put in the new porch and tried to keep up with it, but after he died my grandmother and Aunti Mimi just couldn't keep up with. I am sorry to hear the ghosts are gone. The last two times we visited after my grandmother and Aunti Mimi left the ghosts seemed to be gone too. Well,,, maybe I am glad to hear the ghosts are gone if your family doesn't care for them. Either way, I am so happy to hear the house is in loving hands. At the end of the day, that is what matters most. Are you the person who contacted me some time ago with the information about the Newton side? It made my day to hear we had connections to Isaac Newton! Thank you and to your family for all you have done!